Tuesday 10 June 2014

KFC - Carnival Box Meal




Just In time for the World Cup, Monday saw the launch of the Carnival Box Meal. This consists of:

Carnival Fillet Burger
Small Popcorn Chicken
Mini Fillet
Fries
Regular Side
Rio BBQ dip
Regular Drink

At £5.99 it's not cheap, but then that is a lot of food. It seems quite a heavy meal for mid summer so it's a good job it's not been too hot yet or I shouldn't have wanted to eat that much.

Dispensing with Fancy packaging the burger was wrapped in colourful paper bearing the slogan Viva la flava, a bit weird considering Brazil is South America's only Portuguese speaking country.

Most of the constituent parts are known quantities, so I'll focus on the unknowns , the Carnival Burger and Rio BBQ sauce.
The Burger features its own unique bun topped with herbs, they didn't make too much contribution but i did get one or two hints of flavour during a couple of bites. The bun enveloped an original recipe fillet burger, lettuce and some Fiery carnival chilli mayonnaise. I tried some of this new mayo on it's own and it was good, with a satisfying savoury flavour and some heat, sadly the scant amount on my burger was lost and made no real impact.





The second unknown was the Rio BBQ sauce. which i must admit I was expecting to simply be repackaged ordinary BBQ sauce but this was much fruitier than usual and as someone who can usually take or leave BBQ sauce i found myself using chips like spatulas to ensure nothing was left in the pot.

I have to say I enjoyed this and it was build quality rather than lack of vision that ultimately let it down. Although nothing groundbreaking this would have been a 7, however in light of poor construction I can only award it a 6.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm sounds nice now going to buy one

Anonymous said...

Mmm sounds well nice. Now going to buy one

ALbad said...

As usual they need to stick a hash brown in there for a true flavour 'kick' - see what I did there?

Anonymous said...

Would be nice if I could find the silly sauce my local never has any of them in stock.

Anonymous said...

Would be nice if I could find the silly sauce my local never has any of them in stock.

Anonymous said...

As with every time limited promotion at KFC they send us the stock for the first couple of weeks and then it completely disappears off the face of the planet and then people shout at us for never having the thing that's being advertised nationwide in stock.

Roll on the next promotion window when the 'bites' are back.